Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Big Secret

"The Deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated. Here is the gnawing and unfaltering human hunger, and the rare individual who honestly satisfies this heart hunger will hold people in the palm of his or her hand and even the undertaker would be sorry when he dies" - Dale Carnegie

"I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among my people the greatest asset I posses, and the way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement. There is nothing else that so kills the ambitions of a person as criticisms from superiors. I never criticize anyone. I believe in giving a person incentive to work. So I am anxious to praise but loath to find fault. If I like anything, I am hearty in my approbation and lavish in my praise." - Charles Schwab

"People would think they had committed a crime if they let their families or employees go for six days without food; but they will let them go for six days, and six weeks, and sometimes sixty years without giving them a hearty appreciation that they crave almost as much as they crave food." - Dale Carengie

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Unknown

With routine grind of daily life, we tend to forget what is important. We take people who are important to us for granted, like our spouse, children, parents, friends etc.. what becomes familiar sometimes becomes invisible. But what a difference sincere appreciation can make! When we appreciate somebody not only do they feel good but we will feel good too! What a win-win!! I am getting better at this myself. Because, like anything, we need to make it a habit. One of the reasons why I like to appreciate people is because, it shows them what I value the most. For ex, when somebody is wearing clean and polished shoes, when you compliment them, it shows that, you like wearing clean and polished shoes! Dale Carnegie says that everybody we see every day has an imaginery sign hanging from their neck that says "make me feel important". A simple compliment will make them feel very important. Sincere appreciation will make them feel important. In turn a lot more people will start liking us for this simple virtue that Dale Carnegie calls "The big secret of dealing with people"... so why not start on giving honest and sincere appreciation, starting today?

so long!...

-SamCam

No comments: