- What is going the extra mile? It means rendering of more and better service than that for which one is paid, and giving it in a positive mental attitude.
- Every living creature below the intelligence of man is forced, by Nature’s handiwork, to apply this principle in order to survive. Man may choose to ignore this principle, but he cannot do so and at the same time enjoy the fruits of enduring success.
- Advantages of going the extra mile:
1. The habit brings the individual to the favorable attention of those who can and will provide opportunities for self-advancement.
2. It tends to make one indispensable, in many different human relationships, and it therefore enables him to command more than average compensation for personal services.
3. It leads to mental growth and to physical skill and perfection in many forms of endeavor, thereby adding to one’s earning capacity.
4. It protects one against the loss of employment when employment is scarce, and places him in a position to command the choicest of jobs.
5. It enables one to profit by the law of contrast, since the majority of people do not practice the habit.
6. It leads to the development of a positive, pleasing mental attitude, which is essential for enduring success.
7. It tends to develop a keen, alert imagination because it is a habit which inspires one continuously to seek new and better ways of rendering service.
8. It develops the important quality of personal initiative.
9. It develops self-reliance and courage.
10. It serves to build the confidence of others in one’s integrity.
11. It aids in the mastery of the destructive habit of procrastination.
12. It develops definiteness of purpose, insuring one against the common habit of aimlessness.
- Napolean Hill(Master key to riches)
Preparedness and opportunity always meet in the extra mile - some people call it luck!. Remember, there is a reason why Napolean hill put the word 'habit' in the heading. If we go the extra mile once, we will reap rewards for going the extra mile, but that is nothing compared to the reward that we will reap by making it a habit and doing it consistently. In the same book, Mr. Hill quotes Ralph Waldo Emerson "If you serve an ungrateful master, serve him the more. Put God in your debt. Every stroke shall be repaid. The longer the payment is withholden, the better for you; for compound interest on compound interest is the rate and usage of this exchequer." WOW! It is so true! . Remember this, there is no traffic in the extra mile. That is what is referred to as the 'law of contrast' above. I believe that there is a bank that has unlimited money in an account with your name and this bank is located in the extra mile and God is its owner (btw, in God's bank there are no ATM's, and there is only one branch!). So, Why wait? Lets go withdraw some of that money!
PS: In the next coming posts, I will quote you stories of people who went the extra mile and reaped harvest beyond imagination.
PPS: Your comments are my fuel!